The last two weeks have been solid editing. This about the sixth ‘edit’ I have done and hope that I am heading in the right direction. This one came about because I decided to work with an editor.
She homed in on flow and gave me lots of great comments. So I printed it (on the back of previously printed documents) and red penned. I red penned for England. I moved chapters, added intros, reworded paragraphs, put linking phrases back in and rewrote the stuff I knew was pants.
I did the red penning in Cambridge while I was on contract down there and then went on holiday.
When we got home (the holiday was lovely, thanks) I consolidated all the electronic versions of VFUU and started to edit. I have to confess, I like to make my computer and applications work for me. My book is in Word and I have used headings and navigation since I started and that made step one a lot easier. All the chapters got moved about, an appendix became a chapter and some random paragraphs became an appendix. Until Wednesday last week I still had a section called rogue paragraphs, stuff I like but couldn’t bring myself to cut.
Then I worked through each chapter, word by word making the red pen changes. As I completed each chapter I read the whole thing out loud and made many more changes.